Modine Practices Electrical Safety Every Day
Modine is dedicated to manufacturing the safest and highest quality commercial HVAC units on the market. In recognition of National Electrical Safety Month, we’re offering a refresher on safety best practices for contractors, end-users, and anyone else who deals with HVAC equipment.
When maintaining or installing Modine equipment, our experts recommend following these safety practices:
- Before performing electrical work, always disconnect the power supply to prevent electrical shock and equipment damage.
- Ensure that appliances are wired strictly in accordance with furnished wiring diagram. Any deviation from the wiring diagram could result in an electrical hazard.
- Supply voltage to the equipment must match the rated voltage.
- Use only factory-approved service replacement parts when servicing or repairing HVAC equipment.
- Verify all electrical connections are tight and check all electrical components for signs of wear.
- For electric unit heaters, installation and wiring must conform to all applicable local codes and the National Electric Code. Only qualified electricians should perform the wiring.
Be on the lookout for potential warning signs of trouble with electrical components in and around HVAC equipment. These can include:
- Tripped ground fault circuit interrupters, blown fuses, and tripped circuit breakers.
- Cords, connections, junction boxes, and wiring that is hot to the touch.
- Lights that unexpectedly flicker or dim and flickering lights.
- Sounds of sizzling and buzzing or the smell of hot or burning insultation.
- Loose connections at termination of wires or cables.
- Discoloration at wire terminations/connections.
- Pitted or melted contacts of electrical components.
Following these safety precautions not only protects human life and property, but it ensures the HVAC equipment runs properly and helps eliminate problems with electrical connections and components that can reduce the usable lifespan of HVAC equipment.
To learn more about Modine’s quality commercial HVAC technology, contact us today.