Keep Your Greenhouse Heater Working
With the winter growing season ahead, commercial greenhouse operators need to think about the state of their heating systems. Regular maintenance can help extend the life and operational expense of heating units.
Proper care for a greenhouse heater starts before it’s even installed. A common problem is incorrectly sizing the unit to meet the needs of the space. Installers should be looking for the sweet spot: not too big, not too small. If the heater isn’t big enough, it won’t be able to properly meet the needs of the space. If the heater is too big, it will lead to short-cycling, making it turn on and off too often, reducing its lifespan.
Inspection and Maintenance
Kept in shape, unit heaters should last for years, but they do need proper care and maintenance. Burners and heat exchangers should be inspected and cleaned annually. Modine’s heating experts have developed a checklist of basic maintenance items to address:
- Inspect motor regularly and oil as needed.
- Check power connections to the motor. Make sure they’re secure and not loose.
- Inspect the heat exchanger for any obstructions or failures.
- Check all venting. Make sure all connections are secure and tight. Clear any blockages and replace any failed pipe.
- Check all gas connections, including pilot tubing connections both at the valve and pilot burner. Make sure connections are tightly fitted.
- Inspect the main gas burners. Make sure they are free of obstructions and not clogged by spider webs or debris.
- Properly drain condensate from high-efficiency units. Check condensate lines to ensure they’re draining properly.
Finding the Right Option
Modine has served the commercial greenhouse industry for more than 70 years. We tailor our heaters to meet the needs of commercial growers. Our products include the Effinity® unit heaters, the most efficient gas-fired condensing unit heater in North America. Our range of units includes a separated combustion heater, a vertical power vented heater, and a low-profile stainless-steel power vented heater.